Support & Education
About Mental Illness
A mental illness is a medical condition that disrupts a person’s thinking, feeling, mood, ability to relate to others and daily functioning.
What is Recovery?
Recovery from serious mental illness is not only possible, but for many people living with mental illness today, probable. The notion of recovery involves a variety of perspectives.
We're Here to Listen
Call the NAMI Helpline at
A free six-week group education program for parents and family caregivers of children and teens who are experiencing symptoms of a mental illness or who have already been diagnosed. The course is taught by a trained team with lived experience and provides critical strategies for taking care of your child and learning the ropes of recovery. The group setting allows you to connect with others and build a community of support.
NAMI Basics covers:
- Managing crises, solving problems and communicating effectively
- How to take care of yourself and handle stress
- Developing the confidence and stamina to support your child with compassion
- Advocating for your child’s rights at school and in health care settings
- Learning about current treatments, including evidence-based therapies, medications and side effects
- Gaining an overview of the public mental health care, school and juvenile justice systems
- Understanding the challenges and impact of mental health conditions on your entire family
From Next Door To Across The Nation
Become a Member
Become a part of NAMI! Subscribe to the latest mental health updates, participate in an online discussion group, learn how to advocate in your community and add your voice to the mental health movement.
Thank you for your generous tax-deductible donation. You are helping us provide support, education, and advocacy to thousands of people living with mental illness in Iowa.
Get In Touch
The families and members of NAMI Central Iowa are here to help! We offer understanding to anyone concerned about mental illnesses and the treatment of mental illness.